Monday, March 22, 2010

The News Never Sleeps

Well this concludes Spring Break which certainly was not a break. Yet Liberty City Link did not go on break, well not all of all of us at least. A great lesson learned is that the paper always has to go out no matter what is going on in the world around you. While one of us may be on break does not mean are whole staff can be. Certainly break or not does not mean we disconnect. It's a career we have chosen and part of it is that you can't always completely disconnect from the world. While I'm sure journalists do take vacations, I'm sure most, at least the good ones, don't go long without watching the news and checking email. Liberty City Link is still in its early stages and how far it will go certainly depends on its creators and how much hard work is put in. Of course there is not I in team. We have been given an amazing opportunity that other FIU Journalism majors have not been given. Now we have to own up to it. Needlesss to say I was a little upset when professor/editor tried numerous times to contact as a whole and I saw only a few of us, the same ones, continue to respond. The silence was embarrassing for a group that seemed so enthused. I'm not to say that I am the most available person for I too have a very full schedule, that includes this project, school, full time job, internship and a social life, but I try. Why because I realize the opportunity that has been given. Very few classes offer you the chance to get real experience and clips and accredation that you can put on a resumee or in a portfolio. For someone who has been in school for a long time due to personal reasons, this class has offerred me a way not only to learn the skills I need to finally graduate but also to get the experiece I need to compete in this very competeive field we are going into. It istime to get out of the student frame of mind if a journalism degree is going to mean anything. Trust me I have been working on getting mine along with a second degree for a few years now. One thing being the eternal student has taught me is to appreciate those courses and professor that actually teach you the tools that will help you make it where you want to, so you can have a career you love not just a job that pays the bills. This week's lesson to me certainly has been the news never sleeps. Had it not been for a handful of us Liberty City Link staff members that bothered responded to emails and working on what they could and a very persistent and caring professor, Liberty City Link would have crashed and burned in only its second week. Hopefully the rest of the staff will step up to the plate so that next's week need not be so dramatic and disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment