Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Compliment to a Young Journalist

I received a very endearing and intriging compliment while I was bartending tonight. My barback was complimenting what a hard worker I was, stating that I was the only bartender that he worked with that they didn't ask things of him. I replied that he did everything that I needed him to do for me (Indeed he is the best barback there) and that if I needed anthing I was not afraid to ask. He then began to ask me if I went to school and that began an array of questions from major to internships and all sorts of other bits. He finally apologized for asking me so many questions, which amused me since as I told him questins never bothered me. In fact I have been known among family, friends and even boyfriends to always be full of questions. Its the Journalist in me I suppose. Its been there as far back as I can remember. Even as a little girl my family says I ws full of questions and always being nosey. However as I shared with him asking so many questions has been a turn off at times in my love life for some guys I have dated consider it a turn off. Don't get me wrong I don't put any pottential boyfriends through an interogation or anything, but certain conversations just get be fired and there have been a time or two I heard "Why so many questions?" "Its the journalist in me" has been my reply. A friend suggested I need to learn how to seperate the two. I have yet to figuire out if and how that is possible. This prompted of course a related and interesting conversation on relationships and communication between me and my co-worker tonight. In the end however he explained why he was asking me so many questions. He said he didn't ask so many questins to just anybody there but that I seemed like an interesting person. Someting about the way I carried myself he said showed I had more integrity than anyone else there. His comments which I thanked him for immediately left me thinking. Of course it is an amazing feeling when someone you do not know that well says things like this about you by mere observation at work. But it left me thinking for a few moments and then again on the car ride home. Other parts of our converstaion led him to conclude that certain triat about me would make an excellent journalist. In the end it was nice to be admired for the very qualities that not only have gotten me ridicule in the past but also are the basis for the kind of journalist I hope to become. This conversation certainly brightened my day. It is not suprising to me then it was followed by good news , all those good energies I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment