Monday, March 22, 2010

Jessica De Leon...Published Newspaper Woman

Well Friday was a milestone for me, a very small one yet significant in the career I hope to build. Through Liberty City Link in the South Florida Times my name appeared on a byline of a newspaper outside of school. I was very excited. Family and friends very proud. To some it may seem insignificant, but to anyone who knows better knows its a step in the right direction. I've had many family members and friends run out to buy the paper or jump online just so they could see my byline and then proceed to read my work. It is very gratifying when people take an active interest in your work like that. No one just glanced at it but rather they took the time to read each word. They made comments and I conversations, received emails and text message not only congratulating me but commenting on the material itself. I received comments and question about the different pieces. Until recently I did not really realize how much work goes into not only establishing a new publication ( as small as it may be) but the amount of reporting necessary for the smallest of pieces that in the end is condensed so small.
As a final not I would like to thank South Florida Times and more importantly our fearless leader and professor Neil Reisner for giving myself and all of us this amazing opportunity to bring this project to life.

NFL Center supports young people
http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4074&Itemid=144

Film examines happier side of inner city
http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4076&Itemid=144

No comments:

Post a Comment